Best Foot Forward: Preparing for Auditions
with Colleen Naomi
During this workshop we will explore important elements of preparing for auditions so that you can arrive feeling poised and ready to go!
We will discuss techniques that lessen the anxiety that so many of us feels when attending auditions such as positive self-talk, meditation, vocal warm-ups, and visualization. We want to feel as confident as possible so we can put our best foot forward!
The workshops will include:
- How to Prepare (getting comfortable and warmed up before any audition or performance)
- Techniques for Tackling Nerves! (positive self-talk, meditation, vocal warm-ups and visualization)
- Dos and Don’ts at the audition (basic etiquette, what to wear, what to bring)
- Tips for Cold Reading
- Getting Started with Monologues (four memorization styles)
- Tips when Auditioning for Musicals
- Question and Answer (time permitting)
All DramaFest workshops have limited availability. This workshop is not available on Wednesdays or Friday mornings. Availability is also limited due to bookings by other classes.
Outcomes for Drama 10 and Drama 11:
- Students will use drama to explore, formulate, and express ideas, perceptions, and feelings.
- Students will address problems and make decisions relating to their drama work.
Colleen Naomi has been involved in theatre for over 30 years, in British Columbia and Nova Scotia. Her early start in theatre, at the age of seven, launched a life-long love of the performing arts. In 2010 her focus became theatre with young people, offering theatre programs for children and youth in Nova Scotia. In addition to teaching theatre, she loves acting, directing and scriptwriting. She wrote and directed a play that toured Nova Scotia in 2015 and in 2019 she wrote and performed in a touring one-woman show. Colleen has been Artistic Director for South Shore Players since 2015 and loves being part of the community of thetare. Colleen lives in beautiful Lunenburg County with her children, her partner, his children, and seven adorable pets. View Colleen’s profile.
- Students remain seated throughout this workshop.
Please note: Theatre Nova Scotia respectfully requests that schools and community groups ideally do not cancel workshops once they are booked, unless absolutely necessary. If a group must cancel or reschedule, please give us a week of prior notice. In these precarious days for arts workers, TNS is going to great lengths to provide schools with exceptional theatre education and local artists with paid work in our industry. Please be aware that artists may have turned down other paid work to accommodate these workshop bookings. Thank you for your understanding.
Students stay seated throughout this workshop.